The Victoria Arts Centre project intends to create a new Community Arts Centre for Glossop, whilst saving one of its most important Victorian buildings. It has arisen from the opportunity provided by Derbyshire County Council, who has obtained planning permission to build a new state of the art library in an annex to the Adult Education Centre and then relinquish their occupancy of the Victoria Hall.
The project plans to use this chance to sympathetically restore this historic building and maximise the scope and space within the Victoria Hall to create the new Centre, which will include:
- An auditorium on the first floor that will seat around 250 people
- Partly retractable seating to maximise the flexibility of the first floor space
- Performance space for theatre, music, dance, comedy and film for both professional companies and amateur organisations
- Sound, lighting and projection equipment
- Space for tea dances and ballroom dancing events
Ground and Lower-Ground Floor:
- Box office and front of house facilities
- Café with catering and refreshment facilities
- Glossop Heritage Trust static display facilities
- Art exhibition space
- Facilities for workshops and meetings
- Dressing Rooms, storage facilities and other essential backstage facilities
- A lovely, welcoming space for the whole community
- Full access facilities, including a lift
- Facilities for community use, for local organisations and residents
- Interoperability – synergy with the adult education centre and the new library
Our Vision is ambitious. Glossop, at present, does not have any comparable facilities other than at a very small scale level or in churches. It deserves them. If the whole of the community can unite in support of this project, the Team believe that it should be achievable.
These ideas are spelled out in greater detail in a Vision Document submitted to the owners of the building – High Peak Borough Council (HPBC) – in early 2016.
The Team are working closely with HPBC, who regard us as their favoured partners. A lot of work and challenge lies ahead. It is essential that we can use the whole building, that we all unite and that:
- A robust and independent Feasibility Study is done
- A full Building Survey is done to establish the extent and scale of the essential restoration works needed
- A viable and sustainable Business Plan is prepared.
- We expect some extension of the Victoria Hall, which will require both planning permission and Listed Building Consent.
We would love to know your views and ideas.
Would you or your organisation like to be a user of the new Victoria Arts Centre? We want to know about all potential users of the Centre, as this will be a crucial part of establishing the proposed Business Plan.
Please let us know. You can send us your comments by filling in the form on the Contact Us page.
If you think this will be a good thing for Glossop, please do give us your support, encouragement and ideas.
Together we can do it.
Chairman of the VAC Team